Monday, May 14, 2012

Grilled Monkfish with Smashed Peas & Feta

I love it when things just work. One of my favourite things to do is to make up a recipe based on what I have on hand, and when it works you get this wonderful feeling that tonight you have created something great. Its one of the best things about cooking. I just get into this zone where this goes with this and makes this and voila- Grilled Monkfish with Smashed Peas and Feta.

How did I decide on this combination? Its as simple as having monkfish in the fridge (I bought monkfish the first time due to the sign on my favourite fish shops window saying 'Jamie Olivers favourite fish' and now I am a total convert... best white fish ever!), some beautiful South Cape caper and lemon Persian feta that need to be used up. Plus, I am trying to avoid carbs at night so instead of a potato mash, pasta or rice I decided to smash up some peas with the feta. And grill the fish. And steam some vegies.

And so on. I hope you enjoy the end result as much as I did!

Grilled Monkfish with Smashed Peas & Feta (serves two)


2 fillets monkfish
1 tablespoon of dukkah (you could use season-all instead)
1/2 a cup of plain flour
2 cups of frozen peas
1 container of South Cape caper and lemon persian feta
1 teaspoon garlic
Salt and pepper
Spray olive oil
Mixed steamed vegies (I used purple carrot and broccoli)
Watercress
Juice of one lemon

For the smashed peas:
Cover the peas with water and bring to the boil in a saucepan. Allow to boil for 3-4 minutes then remove and drain. Add the feta (cheese only, not the brine). Add garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Using a potato masher, crush the peas. Once crushed, use a fork to combine. If needed, put back on the stove for a minute to reheat before serving.

For the fish:
Combine dukkah and flour on a plate and coat the fish. Spray a non stick frying pan with olive oil and cook the fish for 5 minutes on each side.

To serve: Divide the crushed peas into two and place in the bottom of the bowl or plate. Arrange the steamed vegetables around the mound of crushed peas. Place the fish on top of the smashed peas. Garnish with a small handful of watercress and drizzle with a squeeze of lemon.



A great, healthy and fresh dish- we love to eat fish and vegetables on a Monday night to 'cleanse' from the weekend ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)