Monday, April 9, 2012

Spaghetti Carbonara

Now, I have a love/hate relationship with spaghetti carbonara. I love it (mostly the home-made variety I am about to share with you, not such a fan of the restaurant version) but due to my dairy issues it does not love me so much. I do however sucuumb to it every now and then. It is especially easy to make when entertaining for a big group of people. The recipe I use was passed onto my Mum from her hairdresser years ago, and then onto me. Sometimes these are the best recipes, passed on by simple word of mouth.



Spaghetti Carbonara
Serves 4

Two teaspoons garlic
5 pieces of bacon, chopped
4 stalks spring onion, chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup of white wine
Carton of light cream
Block of Harvarti cheese (this is the key ingredient that makes it so good!)
Two eggs, beaten
Preferred brand of spaghetti, one packet.

Heat some oil in a large frypan. Add garlic, bacon, spring onion and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes of until soft. Add wine and light cream. Bring to a gentle simmer. Slowly grate whole block of Harvarti cheese (be persistant, it is soft and crumbly) into mixture. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as per instructions. When spaghetti is cooked, pour carbonara into saucepan with spaghetti. Use tongs to toss sauce through. Add beaten eggs and gently move egg mixture through spaghetti. The heat of the spaghetti will cook the eggs lightly.

Serve with parmesan cheese.


And, just in case anyone is bored with the traditional way of eating spaghetti, here is a demonstration from a special little man on an alternative way of eating.

Enjoy,

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)