Sunday, April 22, 2012

Gypsy's Hideout, Northcote

We love a good little cafe in High St- you are usually guaranteed awesome coffee and a unique breakfast menu (I like to break away from the whole big breakfast, vegetarian breakfast boredom). However, competition is stiff out there and its sad to say that Gypsy's Hideout didn't blow us away. Tucked away at the very end of the main High St, Northcote precinct, it is easy to miss as it doesn't actually have any signage. However, we spotted it due to how busy it was. Simply decorated and buzzing with breakfast-ers, it looked promising. Unfortunately the food, although enjoyable, just didn't blow us away. Service was also so-so, I don't think it would kill the waitresses to have at least a bit of a smile on a sunny Saturday morning!

The coffee was great, and I loved how each cup was served with a different antique novelty spoon- very cute.


The breakfast burrito sounded promising. A tortilla supposedly packed with beans, scrambled eggs, spinach and cheese and topped with home-made salsa, guacamole and sour cream, it just didn't hit the mark. The beans were nice but the scrambled egg component was the thinnest little piece of omelet I have ever seen and didn't add any taste. The guacamole was almost non-existent and I could have made a better salsa myself. This wasn't 'unenjoyable', but I wouldn't order it again.


The poached eggs with eggplant and haloumi on sourdough was slightly more enjoyable. The bread was tasty but was cold by the time we recieved it. The eggs were well cooked and the combination of eggplant and haloumi was very mediterranean. The flavours in this breakfast were much more prominant but the cold toast slightly let down the dish. I would probably give this dish another go and hope that the toast was nice and hot.


Overall, a slightly underwhelming breakfast. With so many awesome cafes in that general area, I don't know if I would bother going back except for the great coffee. However, as always it was great to sit outside in the sun on High St and people-watch on a Saturday morning.
Gypsy Hideout on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)