Saturday, November 12, 2011

RED DOOR CORNER STORE, Northcote

We wouldn't have even discovered this little breakfast gem had it not been for the trusty Entertainment voucher book that I buy every year and always get my money's worth out of. Using the vouchers can be hit and miss, but today's experience was a great find.

Red Door Corner Store is a fantastic and charismatic little cafe hidden away in Mitchell St, Northcote. Although judging by how packed out the place was (the place was chocka's at 11am this Sunday morning), I doubt it is very 'hidden' to the Northcote brunch-ers. It is not a traditional breakfast place- you won't find a big breaky or anything that is dripping with butter or fat. Instead, check it out if you are looking for something a bit different with lots of fresh herbs and organic produce with your typical eggs.

My favourite part of the decor was old school kitchen appliances like spoons, muffin tins etc stuck to the walls with frames around them. It was a really vintage and cool way of making the place look funky and homely at the same time, and I plan to steal the idea for my own kitchen one day (when I have one big enough to decorate!) ;)




The boy and I both had a beautiful stack of potato rosti, smoked salmon (I think they smoke it themselves), poached eggs, horseradish cream and snowpea sprouts. I could not fault the dish, it was absolutely divine- just my kind of breakfast. The slight hint of horseradish in the cream gave the dish a real zing and was a welcome change from hollandaise.


On the side we shared an amazing salad which I am planning to try at home as a 'healthy dessert'- Watermelon, Strawberry and mint salad served with yogurt and a kind of nut/muesli crumble. It was a beautiful and light side dish that made eating fruit seem very naughty!



We will definitely be going back- the table next to us had poached eggs and avocado on semolina with tortilla's and salsa which also looked great, and even the breaky burger on home-made buns looked worth going back for. A great spot to find a traditional, healthy, organic spin on breakfast. Oh, and the coffee was so great we had TWO each!

L xo Red Door Corner Store on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)